Tuesday, June 3, 2008

I'm officially crazy

Ever since I was a little, vulnerable preteen in junior high, I've always despised running. Especially running outside where people can actually see me. So, throughout my life I've always managed to avoid running as my regular exercise routine (sports, aerobics, etc.). Until now...

Even though I've shuddered at the thought of running for fun, I've always admired the "unexperienced" runners who have concurred a half marathon. I've had a few friends who've gone through the 10 week training and finished the entire 13.1 miles. That's a huge accomplishment! So for a few years now, it's been my secret goal to run in a half marathon sometime during my lifetime.

This goal became a reality when a good friend of mine told me of his plans to run in the Little Grand Canyon Half Marathon on September 13, 2008. I told him my secret and he immediately started convincing me to join him. At first I was a little hesitant because, hello, it's 13.1 miles! I've never ran a 5K in my life, let alone a half marathon. But after much persuasion and a few days of actually running on my own (outside, no less), I made the decision. And last week I spent the $48.97 and made it official! Yay! :) I start my 10-week training in about 2 weeks and I'm half excited, half terrified. So if you're not busy that Saturday morning in Price, Utah during the beautiful month of September, I would really appreciate some fans screaming on the side lines.

4 comments:

Bill said...

I already mentioned that you're insane, but I'm still incredibly impressed. You'll do awesome, I'm certain. :-)

navajotwin said...

We can both die after the race. But only after...

Tess said...

September 13 you say? That would be so great to come and support you! You are amazing!

Jess said...

Hmmm...I may need to make alternate arrangements for work that day... :) lol.

(you know, just in case i need to plan a double funeral...)